It’s a bit of a different Finished Object from me today, and not one that I ever showed you in progress on a Wednesday, but here it is… a baby blanket with a difference.
The concept for this was borne in a tent in the little town of Uig, on the beautiful Isle of Skye last summer. I taught K and the kids to knit, and everyone contributed at least one “square” to this blanket. Where possible we used recycled materials (although I do confess to buying two balls of yarn for the project). I guess I should have taken more care to ensure similar weights of yarn were used, but I didn’t. I guess I should have ensured that everyone made squares approximately the same size, but I didn’t.
I guess you could call it a sort of sampler blanket – it includes some first ever attempts at knitting (by K and the kids), my first attempts at cables, and bobbles, and all sorts of other stitches. A complete variety of colours, and textures. It may not be perfect, but the result is a blanket where every square has its own story, and the whole family played a part in creating it.
I sewed it together, and backed it with soft blue fleece (leftover from the car back seat cover my friend made for me a couple of years ago). We gave it to baby Peter for his first birthday earlier this week. It was supposed to be a “birth” present, but didn’t quite get finished in time!
Peter’s Birthday Blanket
Peter’s Birthday Blanket Key
A1 – made by Aidan. The blue stripes were leftover yarn from the pullover his Grandma knitted for him when he was little. The red was an eyelash yarn I had kicking around in my stash. He loved the textures.
A2 – made by me. Basketweave stitch, and knitted in the yarn I used to knit M’s Big Sister dress.
A3 – made by me. My first ever attempt at cables. Yarn was leftover from my Oddments knitting bag project.
A4 – made by me. My Buzzy Bee square. Yarn was leftover from my Oddments knitting bag project.
A5 – made by me. Shingle Stitch. Leftover yarn from Aidan’s pullover from Grandma.
B1-6 – made by me. All squares were knitted with yarn left over from my Oddments knitting bag project.
C1 – made by Megan. Her first ever piece of knitting 🙂 . All garter stitch, but white and lilac stripes. The white was from my Georgia sweater, but the lilac came from Blossom, the first ever dress I knitted her.
C2 – made by me. Charcoal yarn from K’s Decoder Hat, and the purple from my Sahara sweater.
C3 – made by Keith. Bored with knitting rectangles the normal way he decided to knit one in the round, making up the pattern as he went along. Charcoal yarn from K’s Decoder Hat, and the purple from my Sahara sweater.
C4 – made by me. Caterpillar Stitch. Red yarn purchased specially for this project.
D1 – made by me. Log Cabin Blanket-style. Yarn left over from my Oddments knitting bag project.
D2 – made by me. Simple Grille pattern. The white was from my Georgia sweater, and the pink/purple was from the Flying Geese shawl that I knitted for K’s mum a couple of years ago.
D3 – made by Aidan. One of his earliest pieces of stocking stitch – and with four colour changes. Yarn purchased by himself – two colour variations of the same yarn – one purple, one red.
D4 – made by Keith. Experimenting with knits and perls to make patterns – counting 1-15 in binary, and three chevrons. White yarn from my String bag.
D5 – made by Keith. Vertical bar line stitch. Green yarn purchased specially for this project.
E1 – made by me. Little Pyramid Stitch. Yarn from my Wendy Tank Top.
E2 – made by me. Practising making bobbles! Yarn from my stash. I think I knitted a scarf for M from it once upon a long time ago!
E3 – made by Keith. Simple stocking stitch with garter stitch bands; white edge because there wasn’t enough green! White yarn from my String bag and the green yarn was from some little Hand Warmers I knitted some years ago for K’s sister.
E4 – made by me. A Mitred Square. Red yarn purchased specially for this project, grey yarn from my Oddments knitting bag project.
Happy Birthday Peter!
For more of today’s Finished Objects, check out Tami’s Amis…