1) School restarted today. A and M were happy, excited. I was a little surprised to realise quite how much I missed having them around… But a good day, they came home happy, vying with each other to tell me the stories of their day.
2) For some reason, as I was running errands today, I expected to find that most places would be pretty quiet. I couldn’t have been more wrong – the town was a hive of activity, and everywhere was bustling with life and busyness.
3) I discovered a new recipe today – Baked gnocchi with chorizo, spinach, and tomato – it’s quick, simple, and deceptively delicious, not to mention filling! I highly recommend it – despite our last minute substitution of parmesan for mozarella.
1) A long walk past fields full of sheep and lambs, flocks of birds take to wing as I pass by, and bunny rabbits hop across the road in front of me…
2) A regales me with stories of his day at school – I’m very impressed with how they’re learning about the “real world” – they were asked to identify their key strengths, and then “apply for a job” working in the area they feel they are best suited to. Then, in their team, they had to choose a facilitator for the group, and work out the detail of the tasks they need to perform. School sounds much more fun than it used to be!
3) I tried a variation on Primrose Bakery’s Blueberry and Polenta Cupcakes. I omitted the blueberries, instead adding small pieces of frozen lemon curd to the mix, thereby creating Lemon and Polenta cupcakes. Soft gooey mouthfuls of lemon provide a delicious contrast to the almost crunchy texture of the cupcakes – yum!
1) Today I came across this post from three years ago, wherein Aidan is awarded a “Superstar” for writing a story. On the main school noticeboard today was a copy of the story A wrote last week – he’s been awarded a “Good Work Star” for it!
We’ll get the story scanned in and up on the kid’s blog later this week, if you are interested in actually reading it!
2) A’s favourite playtime snack is a Mixed Berry Fruit and Oat bar, but everywhere I go to buy them is out-of-stock. So I decided to have a go at recreating them… The basic recipe – whizz some oats, and make a mixed berry jam (blackberries, strawberries, and sugar). Strain the jam to remove the bits, and mix with the oats. Press into a baking tray and bake. The result was surprisingly good, although I’ll increase the fruit to oat ratio next time I think.
3) Accidentally closing the tab containing this post, going to Recently Closed Tabs, re-opening it and discovering that nothing has been lost!
1) The lady in the coffee shop usually has quite a dour demeanour. She’s never rude, just never seems very happy. Today, however, she was smiley and chatty 🙂 .
2) I finally make these rather yummy looking Sour Cream Cinnamon Streusel Muffins for fellowship group tomorrow morning. But we all have to try one tonight – just to make sure they are acceptable*, of course!
3) At the meeting this evening, I am totally unexpectedly given some beautiful burgundy gerbera as a thank you. They now grace my mantelpiece, and make me happy whenever I look at them.
* They are!
1) Aidan built a model of the Sky Tower as part of his school homework… how cool is this?
2) Walking round the garden centre this morning, in the sunshine, surrounded by a riot of colour…
3) The discovery of two interesting-looking recipes that I just might have to try sometime: Sour Cream Cinnamon Streusel Muffins with Pecan Filling, and Slow-cooked Bacon Jam. Any takers?!
1) Aidan and Megan decorating fairy cakes together. I’d have take a photo but they have been disappearing rapidly!
2) Successfully cheering A up at lunchtime by, at least temporarily, convincing five boys that being friends with more than one person at a time is generally considered to be a Good Thing.
3) Loving the way that my recipe repertoire has been unexpectedly expanding through reading other people’s 3BT blogs. This recipe from A Journal of Days has caught my eye today – thanks Leonara!
Sneaking on when I should really be in bed… but, in particular order, here are today’s 3BT:
1) watching a movie with K
2) freshly fallen snow transforms the world into a beautiful pristine place
3) Chicken and chorizo paella – made it for the first time this evening – wow! (I came across the link to this recipe on someone’s blog last week and bookmarked the link, so if it was your blog – thank you!)